Hiyaa (Part 8) - Blog post English


Re-posting this because its just not getting old.
I can’t begin to explain how I love the dua of istikhaara and how accurately I have seen these very words coming true right before my eyes. As many of you might have read in a previous post I shared with my last story, I was skeptical about istikhaara, the first time I had heard about it. Though I was turning towards deen, I still doubted that a simple two rakat prayer could turn my whole life around. But it did, in a way I could have never even imagined. And I still see the benefits of that istikhaara I prayed 3 years ago, to this day.
In this post, I’d like to share a new reflection that I had just this year as I contemplated on the dua of istikhaara. A lot of times, we hesitate to pray this incredible prayer in fear that the istikhaara might be against what we desire. That the istikhaara will make you distant from what you love. So many of us would say, ‘But I don’t want to marry anyone else other than him/her.’ or ‘I don’t want to change plans to go to this college.’ or ‘I don’t want to work anywhere else’. We say so, dreading the fact that the istikhaara will make the decision difficult. And some of us might even go through the difficulty after praying istikhaara just to stick to what we love. Thinking that if we lose that, we aren’t going to get anything better.
I thought the same, until I noticed the last part of the dua with the last istikhaara I had prayed. The dua doesn’t just make us ask Allah to make the decision easy for us if its good and take us away from it if its bad for us. At the end of all of it, we say, وَقْدُر لِيَ الْخَيْر حَيْثُ كَانَ ثُمَّ أَرْضِنِي بِهِ (and decree for me what is good wherever it may be and help me to be content with it)
When I thought about these words, I felt as though I was introduced to this prayer anew. ‘And decree for me what is good wherever it may be’ kept ringing in my head the whole day. And as I looked back to the answer to the first istikhaara I prayed, that’s exactly what had happened. I was in a situation I didn’t want to let go off. I kept seen signs that I should leave immediately yet I was just too stubborn to let go. And then one day, I was literally dragged out from it. Of course I was sad when I was separated from something I wanted so badly. But then just in a matter of time, out of nowhere, from where I had never even expected, I found a replacement for that very thing. And when I did, I got so much more from it than I could have ever imagined.
So my dear brothers and sisters, whenever you are faced with a difficult decision, pray istikhaara without any hesitation. Be sure that you are not going to face any loss, while you are asking the One Who Loves you and knows you the best. He is the One Who is going to make ease. He is the One Who is going to save you. And know that He is the Only One Who could make your life truly beautiful.
May Allah make us of those who put our trust in Him. Ameen!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arabic Pronouns (dhameer)

Mudhaaf-mudhaaf ilaihi and pronouns (English lesson)

Harf of Nasb (English + Dhivehi)